Sunday, December 3, 2023

(TV SERIES) OBLITERATED Season 1 - An Action Series that Managed to Nicely Combine with Some Extreme Hilarious Condition

I knew about this new release on Netflix since last week and was interested in watching this. But when it was available on Thursday, I found out it was a series and not a movie. So I decided to watch another film that was released on that day instead and postpone it later. I only began watching this series on Friday night and finished it this morning. All right then, I will get straight to it.

Brief Story Line

A special ops team that consisted of the leader, CIA agent Ava Winters (Shelley Hennig - The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window mini series etc), operation chief Chad McKnight (Nick Zano - DC's Legends of Tomorrow TV series etc), Navy SEAL Trunk (Terrence Terrel - B Positive TV series etc), sniper Angela (Paola Lázaro - The Walking Dead TV series etc), Air Force Pilot Paul Yung (Eugene Kim), tech expert Maya (Kimi Rutledge) and explosive expert Haggerty (C. Thomas Howell - Gettysburg etc) were given task to stop terrorist attack in Las Vegas.

After their successful operation, they decided to have the biggest party with lots of drugs and alcohol involved on that night. Unfortunately it was found out later that there was still a nuclear threat that must be averted before the following morning. So everyone had to fight off their condition to finish the mission.

And how would the story conclude? You could find out in this series.

End of Brief Story Line

Even when I read the synopsis of this series, I was already interested in watching it cause it sounded like the recipe for disastrous mission and a fun action comedy type. However, I really thought it was a movie which might make more sense for the plot. So I was a bit surprised when I found out it was a series and was a bit doubtful if it would work for 8 episodes. But I thought why not give it a try. And frankly I was happy that I gave it a chance since the first episode already showed the things they did. From the unexpectedly quite spectacular action, the craziest party and the condition they were in when they had to do another mission.

Apparently having the story split into several episodes worked just fine too, cause some of the after effects of the party were only shown later and had major repercusion to the mission. And combined with some more pretty well executed brutal action sequence and a lot of raunchy comedies made this series enjoyable to watch for people who like this sort of thing (me included). After seemingly endless f*cked up things that could happen which was predictable, it had a great enough climax, but not before a shocking twist which I did not foresee (well done to everyone who thought about this). Only thing that I was a bit unhappy was the final moment which was supposed to give dramatic effect but did not make sense as the way it was done contradicted what the team was planning on doing earlier. 

Anyway this kind of series was definitely made just for fun and not supposed to make sense. And I really think they were successful in entertaining us. I could understand if the critics were not too happy but I thought audience enjoyed it (it made to the top 10 series in lot of places including Indonesia). The series was created by Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg and Josh Heald who were creators of that highly rated Cobra Kai series. So we will see if this could be successful enough to warrant for a second season (I am certainly game if they do).

The cast seem to really enjoy playing the series. Funny thing I did not recognize Nick Zano at first as he reminded me a bit of Chris Hemsworth. Only later I realized that he was Nate in Legends of Tomorrow. Aside from those names I mentioned above, there were plenty of other important characters like the terrorist Koslov (Costa Ronin - The Americans TV series etc), the party girl Lana (Alyson Gorske) who was part of the main cast and CIA director Langdon (Carl Lumbly - Doctor Sleep etc). Few notable guest stars were Virginia Madsen (Operation Christmas Drop etc), Lori Petty (A League of Their Own etc) and few others.

One thing to take note was the series had a lot of graphic nudity which some people might find disgusting. Even I felt one or two were just too extreme. So better be ready when watching them or skip it if you are not OK with them. The episodes here had standard duration of between 44-57 minutes with the longest one the final episode. In general I liked all the episodes with the 6th that ended greatly and the 7th & 8th as the culminating finale. Obviously the action parts was very entertaining in that final episode.

Overall it was an enjoyable series filled with some cool action scenes, slapstick comedies and fun story. Think of it like combination of The Hangover and 24 series, just imagine Jack Bauer who had to race against time after having the worst hangover. You can certainly give it a shot before deciding if you like it or not as the series actually got better as it progressed. So if you are fine with some ridiculous comedy and not easily disgusted with those jokes, then likely you would enjoy this series like I did. Personally though, I would have liked it better if they toned down a bit on few things. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment