Saturday, February 4, 2023

Viking Wolf - A Norwegian Werewolf Movie

Despite a new movie was released in the Indonesian cinemas yesterday, I opted to watch this film on Netflix as that one was having 3 hours duration which would be tiring to see at night. Besides, this one has an interesting element that I have not seen in a while. All right then, let's get right to it.

Brief Story Line

17 year old Thale (Elli Rhiannon Müller Osborne) had just moved from Oslo to a small town of Nybo with her mother Liv (Liv Mjönes - Midsommar), her younger sister Jenny (Mia Fosshaug Laubacher) and their step father Arthur (Vidar Magnussen). When Thale hang around with her friends near the bay, one of them was attacked by a vicious animal.

As police officer, Liv and her boss Eilert (Øyvind Brandtzæg) investigated this attack and suspected it was done by a wolf. Together with some experienced hunters, they tried to hunt the animal, not knowing that they were facing a much more dangerous threat.

So how would the story conclude? You can find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie had a really simple plot. It focused on the wolf attack which turned out to be not so straight forward. If you have seen the trailer, or read the poster even before reading my post, you would have known what the movie was all about. And that was actually what made me interested in giving it a try. To my surprise, the film did not take long to reach to the interesting part. It was a good thing too, since it only had a short duration of 97 minutes.

The setting of the movie in a small town in Norway somehow felt fitting as it gave a bit of mysterious aura. This was actually the second Norwegian movie that I saw in the past two months where both were of the same fantasy genre. Obviously it would require some visual effects which even though not really of the highest quality, I thought was still adequate.

There were not a lot of strong points to be highlighted in this film, and the characters were not one of them. Somehow I did not feel connected to the main character Thale and thought that her mother Liv was better suited as the lead. I actually prefer the character Jenny. Aside from the names I mentioned above, there were also other cast such as Arthur Hakalahti as the wolf expert William, Sjur Vatne Brean as Thale's friend Jonas and few others (though none of them were familiar to me).

The movie has some violent scenes which was understandable for this kind of story. To me the suspenseful climax was pretty satisfying. But the ending was a bit unclear even after I tried to rewatch it twice. Overall to me this movie was OK and quite enjoyable at certain moments. However, it was not something that truly amazed me and there was nothing really special which would make me remember it in years to come. So if you are interested in a movie of such genre, you can give this one a try, but do not expect this to be a classic or of the highest quality.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment