Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Wrong Missy - A Pretty Standard Comedy from David Spade

After few days of watching very heavy stuff (I am talking about Dark), I was hungry for something light to brighten my day. So I browse around and found this romantic comedy movie which I thought should fit my criteria. And was it good enough? Let's get into it now.

Brief Story Line

Tim Morris (David Spade - Hotel Transylvania 3, Grown Ups etc) had a blind date with a woman named Missy (Lauren Lapkus - Holmes & Watson, The Unicorn etc) who turned out to be the worst type there was. After months of that traumatic experience and having been in unsuccessful relationship, his best friend in office Nate (Nick Swardson - Grown Ups 2 etc) tried to convince Tim to get back into the game.


When Tim met the seemingly perfect woman named Melissa (Molly Sims), he was encouraged by Nate to invite her to the company's retreat in Hawaii with their new boss Jack Winstone (Geoff Pierson - Dexter TV series etc). However, all hell broke loose when he accidentally sent the message to the wrong girl. 

So what would happen to Tim? Find them all in this comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

It has been quite some time since I watched this kind of movie with the main star a comedian like David Spade. I enjoyed his performance in the sit-com Rules of Engagement which my wife loved a lot. We were able to watch the entire seasons and we still think highly of that series. Apart from that particular series, I have also seen him in several other movies usually with Adam Sandler (this movie happened to be produced by Sandler's production company Happy Madison) and mostly I thought they were fun to watch.

Anyway, this movie managed to give me few laughs. Some of them were largely because of Spade's performance (which seem to be his trademark of giving sarcastic comments). The story here was classic wrong identity which usually would result to hilarious comedic situation. In this case, it was contributed by Lauren Lapkus. I noticed from the start that her character Missy was truly annoying which would make me understand the position Tim was in. I did laugh few times looking at her craziness. However after a while, frankly I grew tired of her. Good thing at latter stage there was a better development for her character. Some of the jokes were also a bit vulgar and raunchy, so be ready for them.

In term of story, because this movie was supposed to be romantic comedy, there was no new surprise and everything went as per standard formula. Personally I felt that the duration was a bit too short, making the conclusion felt too rushed. Please do not expect this to be a classic rom-com like Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping and so on as the emphasis was put on the comedy side (should not come as a surprise with Spade as the lead star). I also felt there was no nice song to accompany us in here. Btw, there was a mid-credit scene which was a bit fun to watch. 

Such movie would not be complete without the additional comical character like Nate (there was one or two scene where I at least chuckled), plus Tim's boss Jack. Aside from those there were additional people who sadly did not make too much impression to me. Oh but there was surprise appearance of a well known person towards the end (you should see it for yourself), plus Spade and Sandlers' friend from Saturday Night Life, Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, The Hot Chick etc) who provided his usual comedic moment. 

Overall this was a pretty standard comedy movie. There was nothing special but it did provide few moments of laughter, though not as much as I would have hoped for. In case you are fan of David Spade, this one surely not one of his best, but it could still be fun if you are looking for such comedy. And remember not to take this too seriously.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment