Friday, January 11, 2019

(2018) Unstoppable - A Supposedly Suspenseful High Intensity Full Action Movie Sadly Ruined by Unnecessary Comedic Performance

This movie actually played in theaters since more than a week ago but I only got the chance to see it last night. As my wife was having other plans, she did not accompany me seeing this. I was interested with the movie as the trailer suggested an intense very suspenseful full of action type. So let's find out more about it.

Brief Story Line

Dong-chul (Ma Dong-seok - Train to Busan, The Outlaws etc) was a rather simple minded family guy and was married to Ji-soo (Song Ji-hyo - Emergency Couple TV series etc). His life turned upside down when they both were entangled with a crime syndicate led by Ki Tae (Kim Seong-oh - Fight My Way TV series etc) and Ji-soo was kidnapped.

With the help from his friend Chun-sik (Park Ji-hwan - 1987: When the Day Comes etc) and a private investigator Kwon (Kim Min-jae - Psychokinesis etc), the 3 of them tried to find out where Ji-soo was being held as the police seemed unable to find her.

How would the story end? Find them all in this action thriller movie.

End of Brief Story Line

I mentioned above that I was impressed by the trailer as it hinted a totally suspenseful movie with lots of action. But unfortunately I felt that the movie's intensity was a bit inconsistent. The start of the movie was pretty standard with the introduction of our lead casts. The relationship between Dong-chul and Ji-soo was actually pretty lovely to watch. Then we were also introduced to the villain which I thought played amazingly convincing by Kim Seong-oh. But then after the kidnapping done, I thought it would be suspenseful throughout the whole movie, however when we got to a bit more serious & intense, the tone seemed to be made down a bit.

This inconsistency was apparent until almost the end of the movie. I believed this was entirely due to the appearance of the character Private Investigator Kwon. Personally I thought his characterization was a bit too comical. Perhaps the movie maker was keen to add more humor in this type of movie, but I honestly felt it actually ruined the moment. If the main attraction was the intensity of a kidnapping of the wife of an ex gangster, then those comedic scenes seemed out of place. I have no objection of the actor playing Kwon, in fact I think in another comedy movie or action comedy movie, he would be suitable, especially with his facial expressions. The investigation part was actually not bad, if only the PI character was more serious.

As for the action itself, I think it was pretty well done. Ma Dong-seok (aka Don Lee) was really good in playing kick ass tough guy especially with his huge body. He looked really amazing when fighting with the bad guys, and his face expressions were truly wonderful. I was really convinced with his looks of worry, or angry or love towards his wife. I had seen him more than twice now and each time I thought his performance was always convincing and natural. The fight scenes were well choreographed, and the car chase scene was breathtaking. The finale was also very satisfying. The movie's end credit showed some brief amusing and fun scene that you could enjoy.

Overall I thought this movie could and should have been better. The plot may not be original (the famous Hollywood movie starring Liam Neeson certainly came to mind), but this one to my opinion lacked the suspense & intensity consistency to make it a classic, especially with the addition of the 'too much joking' Private Eye character whom I personally thought out of place. However the action part did not disappoint, even if it was not too much for a movie with 116 minutes duration. So if you are looking for a full suspense, very intense full of action Korean movie, this one might not really satisfy you. But if you are a fan of Ma Dong-seok and want to see him kick some ass, then this one could be an option. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment