Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians - A Brilliantly Done Touching Romantic Comedy Movie

After playing in US cinemas for more than 2 weeks, finally this movie premiered in Indonesia yesterday. We were quite lucky as it was a public holiday and could easily choose what time to see the movie and where. My wife and I who have been eyeing to see this, opted to see at the 1.40 PM show as we wanted to see another movie after that. Well let us get on with the movie now.

Brief Story Line

Rachel Chu (Constance Wu - Fresh off the Boat TV series etc) was a Chinese American working as an economic professor and having wonderful relationship with her boyfriend Nick Young (Henry Golding). When Nick asked Rachel to accompany him go to his hometown in Singapore to attend the wedding of his best friend, she agreed to it though at first she hesitated. Unbeknownst to her, Nick was actually coming from a filthy crazy rich Singapore family.


Rachel finally found out about Nick's family from her best friend/former room-mate Peik Lin (Awkwafina - Ocean's 8 etc). She was informed about how Young's family was like royalty and was a bit shocked by it. Luckily she was quite familiar with one of Nick's cousin Astrid (Gemma Chan - Stratton, Humans TV series etc) who at least gave her a bit comfort. Rachel would later on met with Nick's mother Eleanor (Michelle Yeoh - Tomorrow Never Dies, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon etc) who was very domineering and seemed to obviously disapprove of their relationship. Things also got further complicated when so many of the relatives & friends in Young's family were questioning Rachel's social status and some were also jealous of her relationship.

So could Rachel get through the ordeals of facing this difficult family? Could her relationship with Nick survive all the challenges? Find them all in this touching romantic comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

It has been quite some time since I saw a romantic comedy movie in the cinema. Nowadays mostly I saw other genre and not since the last time I saw something like Sleepless in Seattle that I was enjoying this kind of movie. It was certainly a very entertaining film. It has got the romance, the funny scenes, the touching moment and the "aaaaw" moment and even the sad emotional plus surprising moment.

I truly loved the story pace which to me did not feel overly slow. The first few minutes were awesome, showing us exactly how insanely rich the Young family was and the introduction of the characters were pretty fast and efficient as we could immediately picture the characters involved. I thought that most of the characters here were played awesomely by the actors and actresses. I totally enjoyed the performance of Constance Wu (whom I understand from my wife was amazing and very good change of character from her performance in Fresh off the Boat series. Hmm, I guess I have to start watching that one too) plus her chemistry with Henry Golding. 

There were many supporting characters here who even though their screen time were not too much, still gave a lot of impression. I especially loved Awkwafina's character Peik Lin who gave so much funny moment, also her goofball family including her father (Ken Jeong - The Hangover trilogy, Community TV series etc). Another character that was fun to see was Oliver (Nico Santos) and Rachel's mother (Tan Kheng Hua - Pua Chu Kang Pte Ltd TV series) or the rather annoying Bernard Tai (Jimmy O. Yang). But the greatest performance I have to say would be by Michelle Yeoh. She was very convincing as the strict, over protective mother and overly concern of status lady. My wife and I were really in awe of how she was able to portray such character with her very cold face. Only thing that I noticed was the lack use of Singlish (Singapore English) in here, which I think because not all the Singapore characters were played by Singaporean Chinese.

Aside from the great performances of the cast, I also enjoyed seeing the funny side of how the crazy rich would act. I may not know whether they would actually act like in the movie, but I could picture that it would not be too far off. The story was also set mainly in Singapore with nice views which made my wife and I missed the country and tempted to go there again. It was adapted from the novel of the same title written by Kevin Kwan who is also a Singaporean-American, so no wonder it had Singapore background. And because of the commercial success of this movie, there would be a sequel based on his other novels.

The story itself was quite a good one. It maybe a little bit cliche love story between average woman and her very rich boyfriend with the disapproval from the man's mother. But the way it was told was unique with all those bunch of fun scenes. It was also filled with various nice songs, some oldies and some western songs with Mandarin lyrics. There were many scenes that my wife and I loved in this movie and 1 particular scene that I sensed was really beautifully done was the wedding scene (which I am very sure would have melted the heart of the audience). Oh there was a mid end-credit scene which I think might be hint for next sequel.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience seeing this movie in the theater. Even though it was late, I am glad that at least it is still shown in Indonesia. This was a nice beautiful and romantic comedy movie with various fun and touching moments. A movie good to be seen by couples or "potential" couple and also a movie where you can laugh out loud on the crazy rich Asians.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment